
PART I- The Perception of Africa
Something you’ll definitely come to know about me is that I
am a big Marvel fan. Before the Marvel comic fandom come and challenge my
“fan-ness” I’m gonna put my hands up and say that, no, I haven’t read a single
comic yet (I’m working on it), but I do have a real love for the Marvel
Cinematic Universe (MCU).
An MCU film that I particularly enjoyed was definitely Black
Panther. I loved everything about this film. Everything from the plot, to the
costume to the soundtrack. I don’t know if it makes up for not reading the
comics, but I even watched it more than a couple times in the cinema!
Now, for all those who somehow haven’t seen this film even a
year post its release, first things first you should definitely go and watch it
before you continue this blog post. However, in case you just can’t be bothered
to watch it, or you need a refresher of the plot, let me break it down to you:
This film is set in Wakanda, a fictional sub-Saharan African country
that managed to hide from the rest of the world. This meant that the country remained
unaffected by significant events occurring globally between the 17th
and early 21st century. Subsequently, unlike every other African
country, Wakanda was never a victim of apartheid or the slave trade, colonised,
plundered of resources or involved in world wars. As a result, the country
thrived rich with its own natural resources and was able to develop
uninterrupted without western external influences. Unbeknownst to the rest of
the world, Wakanda became the most technologically advanced country on Earth,
significantly surpassing the progress of Western countries in medical care,
weaponry, infrastructure, and transportation etc.
Okay, so if you are familiar with the MCU, you would know
that when it comes to the end of a film you HAVE to sit through the credits; sitting
through the credits is what differentiates the amateurs from the real fans. And
I am definitely no amateur. If you don’t know already, the reason you HAVE to
sit through the credits is for the infamous mid/post-credit scenes. The same
applies to Black Panther, of which there was a particular mid-credit scene that
caught my attention though others may have overlooked it.
Within this mid-credit scene, the storyline reaches a stage
in which the people of Wakanda felt morally obligated to share their
progressions with the rest of the world at a UN-style international conference.
This may not seem to be anything deserving of screen time, however, what I
found so interesting is that the first thing a white representative of the high-income,
western world asked was:
“What does a nation of farmers have to offer the rest of the world?”
It’s funny because in the cinema you could hear chuckles
pretty much summarising what everyone was obviously thinking:
“You don’t know the half of it, babe!”
But what if we, the viewers, hadn’t just watched a film
about the futuristic advancements of this African country. Would we too ask
such a question dripping with belittlement and presupposition? Unfortunately, I
think it’s highly likely.
I feel that the
world has painted a particular image of Africa in an ink that will be hard to
wipe clean based on the unfavourable history of all African countries. I
do not believe that this perception is exclusive to the world outside of Africa-
my premise is that it has also been accepted by many Africans themselves,
hindering the development of African countries. Presently there appears to be a
general view, a “single story”, that Africa
has little value or developmental significance to contribute to the rest of the
world (Chimanda Adichie, Ted Talk, 2019). African countries are continuously
portrayed as overly dependent, poverty stricken and severely underdeveloped. It
is vital that we challenge such damaging perceptions opposed to simply acknowledging
them as ‘social facts’.
Before I get stuck
in, I just want to note that throughout I will be referring to Africa as a
monolithic singularity, a.k.a. one “nation” as the question itself states. I
haven’t done this to further perpetuate the idea that “AfRicA iS a cOuNTrY”; I
am very aware that Africa consists of 54 intricate, complex and diverse
countries that differ on the grounds of culture, ethnicity and religion.
Instead, I am referring to Africa as one nation, almost ironically, to
challenge views in which African countries are negatively perceived
collectively and how this affects Black people of African descent globally.
I am also making
reference to one nation that is intensely bonded by commonalities in recent
histories. I’m sure you are all familiar with the concepts of
colonialism and slavery, and how these events impacted the lives of black people.
The intention of colonialism and slavery was for Black Africans to view
themselves and their civilisations as inferior, the goal being to degrade Black
people until they viewed themselves in the same way those in the West saw them-
less than human. I honestly believe that this sense of inadequacy has
significantly tainted the African psyche.
During the colonial period the coloniser rejected every
aspect of the existing African culture, insisting that there wasn’t one to
begin with, and promoted their own “white values” encompassing politics,
economy, religion etc (Fanon, 1963). This cultural infiltration was evident in
all aspects of African lives across the continent. For example, as a Zambian
national I do not have to look far to see this. The generation of my parents,
all have western European names: Anastasia, Martin, Daphne, Judith, Lizzie,
Carol, Francis- the list could go on. However, the post-colonial era has seen a
surge rising against this cultural infiltration. My own post-colonial
generation, have names such as: Bwalya, Shumba, Chilufya, Taonga, Chiselenga,
Mushili, Mumbe, Himoonga, and this list too, could also go on.
Yet, even so, this perception and imposition of general
inferiority is what I believe has, as James Baldwin put it, “burnt into the
soul of our civilisation” and has left its dark mark on Africa and Africans
themselves. Most African countries have been independent for 50 years or more,
and slavery has been abolished for even longer, but many of Africa’s nations
remain brutally wounded and not yet psychologically recovered from the impact
of colonialism and the slave trade.
Malcom X once described the media as “the most powerful
entity on Earth” because of how it can “control the minds of the masses”. I
want to draw attention to a society where the media often unintentionally
perpetrates these negative views of Africa, completely ignoring how these ‘social
facts’ came to be. Now-a-days, the media frequently portrays Africa as a
“cesspool of disease, poverty, conflict and ‘backwardness’” highly dependent on
its western former colonisers. Trust me, you may not notice it but you’ve
definitely seen it. The adverts with the kids sat in a puddle of dirty water
and flies on their face. The films that make the entirety of Africa look like a
giant safari where everyone lives in mud-huts, wears leaves as clothing and the
biggest worry is not being eaten by a lion. This is not to say that there is no
need for aid or that mud-huts and lions do not exist, not at all- it’s just
that in the grand scheme of things this very consistently skewed representation
of the entire continent just reinstates a notion that Africa is somewhat
inferior (Iwuoha, 2017) . It is this indirect
form of control, this same societally repressed unconscious bias, that
oppresses Black people. This is a form of structural violence, a.k.a. the systematic
harming of individuals. We should not praise our ‘moral progression’ in society
when oppression has just embodied a more socially acceptable form.
More recently, oppression can be seen to have led to an
unconscious (or maybe even conscious) tendency for Black people to detach
themselves from their African heritage in an “endeavour to make European
culture [their] own” (Fanon, 1963) . One must play down
their negritude, (essentially black pride), in order to be accepted into a
world that views ‘blackness’ as ‘less than’.
This is demonstrated by the way in which Black individuals
may: alter their appearance using lightening skin cosmetics and hair extensions
to be more aligned with the white western idea of beauty or change their names
so they fit more comfortably in the mouth of Westerners etc. This is a
phenomenon that occurs both within Africa and outside of Africa, almost
creating a ‘white mask’ that represents the suppression of Black identity and
culture, a repercussion of a deeply set inferiority complex (Fanon, 1952) .
PART II- The Development of Africa
Okay, but what has all this got to do with Africa’s
development? At this point it may seem like I’m connecting dots that are not
related, but hold on, give me a second, stay with me!
‘Human Capital Flight’ aka ‘the Brain Drain’ is the process
in which educated professionals emigrate from one country to another because of
more desirable opportunities elsewhere (Werriam-Webster, 2019) . It is estimated
that annually, approximately 70,000 skilled professionals within Africa leave
to work in regions of the world such as the UK, US, Australia and Canada (Kewitsu,
2018) .
At one point in time Africans were never thought to have “accomplished
something greater in art or science” or anything generally praiseworthy (Kant, 1785) . Although not
conveyed as stark as in the time of Immanuel Kant, this form of messaging has
nevertheless continued over the years– the criteria of expertise are constantly
formulated and judged by the west.
Due to this depiction of Africa that I outlined at the
start, educated professionals who feel that they have earned a place superior
to this perception will seek respect and recognition for their work and move to
regions in the West based on this principle of ‘better-ness’ existing outside
of Africa.
While migration from the west is also common to other
regions of the world the reasons tend to vary, for example retiring to a hot
climate like Spain or wanting to “explore the world”. In contrast for many
professional Africans it is often in search of opportunities that improve the
quality of their lives or progress their career to a level they feel they would
not be able to attain in Africa itself.
However, this assertion needs to be contested if the image
and story of Africa is to be changed. I am opposed to the idea that: firstly,
Africa does not hold opportunities worth the attention of the skilled
professional work force, and secondly, the West profiting from this perception
and using means to lure individuals who have the potential to aid their own
development, compromising the development of Africa.
Africa has many examples of success which are often not
recognised or celebrated internationally. An exemplar case study embodying
Africa’s possibility, is a technological development invented in Kenya (2007),
now adopted by other countries: M-Pesa money transfer services. According to A
CNN article, this particular service, only recently becoming more popular in
America, enables individuals to send and receive money via smartphone and is
still expanding (Monks, 2017) . This is proof that
Africa can be a source of globally relevant and useful developments when
barriers of so-called inadequacy are revoked.
In summary, the key points that I have tried to squeeze into
this post are:
- Historical events have generated a negative perception of Africa, built on supremacy
- ‘Africa’ became synonymous with ‘substandard’
- Individuals of African descent tend to detach from their heritage possibly as an initial way of countering an innate sense of inferiority
- The West seems to be strategically forgetting enough of Black people’s suffering to live with vitality and freedom, but remembering enough to translate this suffering into the perception of continental maldevelopment
Essentially, I can see why people would be so eager to brush
colonialism and slavery under the rug, so that we can just pick up from where
we left off, and keep moving forward. But the severe impact it had on African
countries, and many other countries globally, is irrefutable. I strongly believe
that in order for humanity to heal, we must collectively, as a society,
acknowledge the suffering of the Black Africans and those of recent African
descent. Only then can we attempt to nip this continental oppression in the
bud. Only then can the damaging ‘social facts’ regarding Africa be undermined.
Only then will Africa truly be able to “flourish” (Du Bois, 1903) .
…
Thank you so much for reading my first ever blog post! I
hope you’ve taken something from this, (even if it’s simply the fact that Black
Panther is an amazing film that you have to see if you haven’t already).
But ultimately, I just want you to know what I know, you
know!
Signed,
IAMLENGA
…
If you enjoyed this post, please make
sure to subscribe to this blog, and share this post.
Also, follow my
socials to stay up to date and become a part of wider discussions about issues
brought up in this blog post.
Instagram: @IAMLENGA
Twitter: @IAMLENGA
[Business email:
iamlenga.blog@gmail.com]
…
*Alongside my own opinions, this post and the points made
within it were inspired by a range of critical thinkers that you may want to
check out if you found this to be an interesting read:
·
Frantz Fanon (Black skin, White Masks, 1952),
(The wretched of the Earth, 1961): https://www.britannica.com/biography/Frantz-Fanon
·
W.E.B Du Bois (The Souls of Black Folk, 1903): https://www.biography.com/activist/web-du-bois
Solid content
ReplyDeleteLook at you with the first comment! Thank you so much :)
DeleteI LOVE your blog. This post especially, bringing light to such interesting and important topics. QUEEN. when will you post next? i want moreeeee.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you love it, I have a lot more content coming very very soon!
Delete